Sunday, August 21, 2011

Rain, rain...FINALly

If you were paying attention to my previous posts....my final was supposed to be a series with a rain element to each photograph.  Unfortunately, it rained one day before my final was due, the day i printed (the magnifying series), and two days after.  Lucky for me, i still had my borrowed flash for at least one of the rain days.

It was late in the evening and i had a tired and grumpy model but i was able to get a few great shots.  The model is my beautiful daughter, Morgan.  We had just spent a few hours earlier in the day at a Superhero fest at the local library (look for future post), followed by another visit to the local fair.  Morgan chose to have her face painted as a friendly pirate which by the way will be the theme for her 5th birthday.  She is loving everything to do with pirates and talks about it nonstop.  Look for future posts on the planning for this momentous event.
 
  Working with a manual flash is difficult.  Even if you have all the settings right, the background will still be underexposed.  The trick is to lower your shutter speed to allow the ambient light to help fill background detail.  Alas, i must have either gone the wrong way or tried to compensate for my aperture.  Either way, when the shutter speed is too fast, you will get the black stripe along the bottom of your photo.

Rather than trashing the photo, i edited the photo so that the surrounding was black. I accomplished this by using Photoshop to burn the background.  I think it turned out wonderful.  I am not sure if this photo could double as negative space as Morgan is placed a little too close to the center but for future reference....



Below are a few more photos i took that night.