Thursday, August 18, 2011

Photography - Week 1

These are the first photographs i took manually on my camera and edited using Adobe Photoshop.  The first photo is of my daughter's friend, Luukas.  The picture was taken after a quick hike on the trails near Ballaine Lake.   We hiked with Luuka's cousins, all six of them excluding their mom, Cedar, Arthur, and Arthur's newborn brother, Balin.  The mosquitoes were horrid.  I think this was one of last hikes for most of the summer.

I really need to work on my editing skills and composition.  While Luukas is a great looking kid with a great smile, he has a building growing out of his hat.  The picture would have been better if i had taken it in front of the lake.  I did do well with getting up and close with my subjects.  There was no need to crop for any of the shots except the burn barrel.


This picture is of a rose hip in my yard.  In the following picture, it is the same rose hip except in black and white.  I tried to paint the color of the flowers back in afterwards but ran out of time to finish the assignment.  It is a pretty cool idea and now i know how to do it for future photos...assuming i have the time.




Stack of wood in my yard.  I know, exciting subjects for a photo.


A burn barrel.  I wanted to see how the rust and paint would look after editing.


One of many bird houses we have hanging in our yard.  My husband likes the bird houses/feeders to attract birds.  Morgan picked this one out for him for Christmas, i believe.


A vent for our underground fuel tank.  Again, i wanted to see how the rust would look once i edited the photo.



Luukas and his cousin, Brennan, next Ballaine Lake.  It looks like there was research diving training for the university going on in the background.


More wood from ....drum roll...my yard. 


Trust me, the pictures only get better from here.  I was just familiarizing myself with my camera and i wanted everyone to see my growth as i progressed through the class.  I am writing this after the completion of my class and i have to say looking back i have learned quite a bit in the class and wish i would have taken it sooner.  Just think of all the great pictures i could have taken of my family and friends.  Just do it.