Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Photography - Final

The end of the semester is quickly approaching.  Thankfully, i no longer have my other distractions, Morgan's swimming, soccer, and softball.  I also have my mom here to watch the girls so i can focus on my last assignment for photography class.  I have due this Thursday a series of 5 (ideal) and no more than 10 photographs.

My original thoughts were to do a series of photographs of the local fire departments.  I wanted to do more portrait like photos of the guys, gear, and training.  Another gal had a similar idea.  I caught a glimpse of her photos which were more action unlike my thoughts on the subject.  But alas, i was feeling the end of semester bug and did not really want to put forth a lot of effort.  Have i mentioned i am auditing the class.  Sad i know but i was tired from my busy summer schedule and i did not really want the added hardship of having to conform to my models' (fire department) schedule.

With a only a week until i had to present at least two edited photos from my series, i was feeling desperate.  I talked to my instructor, Jason, to bounce an idea of doing longer exposures in the rain.  I was a little worried about the idea because what if it did not rain.  He was quick to ease my fears.  It was fair time, it always rains during the fair.  Well, that is if you did not need it to rain.  It rained twice, two days ago and again today.  I forgot to mention, i had to print and mount my photos today.

Lucky for me, i was super skeptical and came up with a back up plan.  Back when i was photographing wacky point of view i saw Luukas, a friend's son playing with a magnifying glass.  I thought it would be kinda neat to see what i could do with that and my camera together but i kept forgetting to buy one.  Jason gave me some additional advice during our meeting.  He told me that i should just have fun and experiment as i was auditing the class and would not be marked down if i did not produce a final.  I took his advice to heart and borrowed Luukas' magnifying glass.  I am sure glad i did.

Below are my photographs in the order they will be shown.


I spent yesterday at the Georgeson Botanical Gardens at the University of Alaska Fairbanks.  It was difficult to hold a magnifying glass in front of my camera and focus.  After taking over 200 photographs with a lot of bracketing, i found that i could use the magnifying glass to focus while keeping my lens at 50mm and slightly off focus. 

I spent a few hours editing, printing, and mounting the photographs for our class show this Thursday.  I am excited for everyone to see my wacky series of flowers and to see what the rest of the students' work.  I also have to add that while i audited the class (there were quite a few others), i was the only auditing student that did not let the weight of daily life and school work get the best of me.  I did not call it quits just because i could.

It was a lot of fun and hard work.  I am glad it is done.  Well not entirely.  I am just glad to not be so busy but at the same time, i wish i could continue using the lab, scanners, and studio at my leisure.  Not to mention, i will miss my fellow classmates and that push for creativity.

It looks like i will have to start up that photography club after all.  What a great way to keep up on my photography, learn new techniques, and visit with new found friends.