Saturday, July 28, 2012

Good Times

Earlier this year, we decided to move our '89 RV from Coeur d'Alene, Idaho to Fairbanks, Alaska.  When we originally purchased the RV from Jeff's parents, we planned to use it to tour the lower 48 states (yup, that's how we Alaskans refer to the rest of the states, excluding our wintering grounds, Hawaii).  Two kids later and half the household income, we decided it would be better used up here traveling Alaska.

My mom and dad with their grand kids.
Jeff, the girls, and i were going to take a family vacation and drive the RV up.  As usual, our plans changed as i decided to get a part-time job at the end of March.  My new job meant i could no longer take extended vacations whenever i wanted.  Just as well.  Morgan starts kindergarten this year which would have also put the kibosh on long visits outside Alaska.  Thankfully, my brother, Gene, and dad were able to make the trip with Jeff.

Grandpa with Morgan and Riley.
The guys made it here in record time.  I had expected them to take approximately 7 days to drive the length of the  Alcan.  They left Idaho mid-day on a Monday, swung by Bothell, Washington to pickup my brother and were on the road to Canada the same day.  They were in Fairbanks late Thursday night.  Jeff kept a quick pace and drove most of the way.  Hmm, i wonder if it was because he was stuck with my family.  :)

Dad and Gene were not scheduled to leave for a whole week.  It was great having them both here.  Gene visited us twice since 2008 but only for a couple days at a time.  My dad had never visited before and i worry this may be his only trip so we packed as much touristy activities as we could into the week: Alyeska Pipeline, Santa Claus House, Denali National Park, Salmon Bake (good but sooo not worth the money), Chena Lake, Visitors' Center (highly recommend), shopping downtown, Pioneer Park, UAF museum, and Chena Hot Springs.

Chena Hot Springs Ice Hotel
 My favorite places to visit when we have out of town guests are the Visitors' Center, Santa Claus House, and Chena Hot Springs.  We went shopping downtown looking for souvenirs, visited the Yukon Quest Store, walked along the Chena, checked out the WWII Memorial, and ended at the Visitors' Center.  The Visitors' Center is free and they have done an excellent job of capturing life in Fairbanks.  I love going to the Santa Claus House because the Santa there has known my daughter Morgan since she was 18 months old.  Whenever we go to Santa Claus House, Santa always picks her out of a crowd and says her name.  The hots springs is a great stop anytime of the year.  When heading out to the hot springs, it is nice to stop at Angel Rocks for a quick 3.5 mile hike and then head to the springs to check out the ice hotel and go for a dip.  I personally don't care to take dip during the summer as it is too hot.  Winter visits are the best.


I am thankful my family was able to come up for a visit in so many ways.  My dad had the opportunity to see the life we have carved out for ourselves here in Alaska.  I got to have both my parents together for the first time in over 15 years.  My best memory though will be seeing the both of my parents side by side with my girls, their grandchildren.  I will cherish that moment.  Thanks mom and dad.

Oh and if you are reading this Gene....uh, i cherish you, too.  :)