Saturday, July 7, 2012

Pre Chilkoot Trail Ramblings

My day started at 4am with only two to two and half hours of sleep.  I showered as it may be my last shower for the next week and packed my hotel pack for the trip. The bulk of my gear is with the other Chilkoot Chicks who left Thursday.  My mom and Morgan were going to drive me to the airport. I went to wake up Morgan who had stayed awake most of the night waiting for me to return from work.  She did not wake up on my first attempt. I thought about letting her sleep but I knew she would be very upset if she did not see me off. I have to admit, I wanted to hold my beautiful tantrum proned little girl one more time. She awoke on my second attempt but so did Riley. I pulled my two year old into my arms and she snuggled close. My heart felt like it was breaking. A few tears escape, I did not want to say good-bye to my girls.  I drive us to the airport. Morgan is wide-eyed and Riley is snuggling her blanket with her thumb in her mouth. She is fast asleep. Everyone stays in the van but me as I have my first flight to catch.  I hug Morgan close and make her promise to be good for dad and grandma. My voice cracks and another tear escapes. Morgan is near tears so i muster a smile and tell her I love her. I promise to send her a post card and Skype her before I hit the trail.  Riley wakes so I close Morgan's door and head over to Riley's to say bye.    Riley cries and I cry. I also tell her I love her and will be home soon. I tuck her blanket around her. It soothes her.  I ask my mom to take good care of my girls and with a quick last goodbye I shut the door and head into the airport. I don't dare look back.  My eyes are filled with unshed tears. 
Forgive any grammar or spelling errors. This is typed on my iPhone. It looks like I won't be able to post photos till I return home. Look for them to be added at a later date.